Navigating the ever-evolving landscape of Amazon’s online marketplace is essential for any seller looking to thrive on the platform.
Among the many factors that play a pivotal role in your success as a seller, one metric, in particular, holds great sway – the Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR).
In this article, we will learn what Amazon Best Sellers Rank is, why it is important, and how to improve BSR for your product on Amazon.
What is Amazon Best Sellers Rank?
Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR) is a crucial metric displayed on a product page, offering insights into its performance relative to other products in the same category within Amazon’s marketplace. BSR scores are dynamic and are updated multiple times a day, reflecting an item’s current sales performance.
The BSR score is primarily influenced by sales, where a lower score signifies a higher rank in Amazon’s sales hierarchy. For instance, if a laundry detergent powder holds the #4 position in the Home & Kitchen category, it denotes that it is the fourth best-selling product among all active home & kitchen listings.
Additionally, a product can have a BSR in multiple categories and subcategories. It’s advisable to track your product’s Best Sellers Rank (BSR) in a subcategory that closely aligns with the products you are selling. This approach allows you to gauge your performance relative to similar products on Amazon.
Why Best Selling Rank is Important?
Here are some of the most important reasons to closely track BSR for your product on Amazon.
- Visibility: Products with a lower BSR are more likely to appear at the top of organic search results and category listing archive. This increased visibility can lead to more clicks and, consequently, more sales.
- Trust and Credibility: Customers often use BSR as an indicator of a product’s popularity and quality. A product with a low BSR is seen as more trustworthy and credible because it has garnered a significant number of sales and positive reviews.
- Competitive Insights: Sellers can use BSR to gauge the competition within their niche. It provides insight into which products are performing well and which ones might be struggling, helping sellers make informed decisions about product selection and pricing.
- Market Trends: BSR can also reflect market trends and seasonality. Products that suddenly rise in rank may indicate a trending item or a seasonal product that’s in high demand.
- Price Optimization: Sellers can adjust their pricing strategies based on BSR data. If a product’s BSR is improving, they might increase the price to maximize profit. Conversely, if the BSR is slipping, they might consider lowering the price to stimulate sales.
How to Check Best Selling Rank on Amazon?
To check the best selling rank of a product on Amazon, go to the product’s page and scroll down to the “Product Details” section. There, you’ll find the product’s Best Sellers Rank in one or multiple categories.
Ready to get started with Adbrew?
Use Adbrew to track the Best Seller Rank (BSR) for all your products on a daily basis
Factors affecting Best Seller Rank (BSR)
A product’s Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR) depends on various factors, including:
- Sales Velocity: The most influential factor is the rate at which a product is selling. Products with higher sales volume receive lower BSRs, indicating their popularity within their respective categories.
- Category and Subcategory: BSR is category-specific, so it’s essential to consider the competition and sales volume within your specific product category or subcategory. What’s considered a good BSR varies significantly between different categories.
- Sales Consistency: Consistent sales over time contribute to a lower BSR. Products that maintain a steady sales pattern tend to have better best seller rank.
- Competitive Pricing: Offering competitive prices compared to similar products in the same category can drive more sales and lower your BSR.
- Conversion Rate: The ratio of product views to actual purchases plays a big role. Products with a high conversion rate are likely to have better BSRs.
- Customer Reviews: Positive reviews can boost sales and, in turn, improve BSR. Higher-rated products often rank better.
- Product Availability: If a product frequently goes out of stock, it can negatively impact BSR, as consistent availability is essential for maintaining sales velocity.
- Competitor Performance: The performance of competing products within your category can influence your BSR. Outperforming competitors can help improve your rank.
What is considered a good BSR?
Generally, the lower the BSR number, the higher the product’s sales velocity and popularity within its category. However, what’s considered “good” can differ greatly between categories. In highly competitive categories, a BSR of 500 or lower may be excellent, while in niche and less competitive categories, a BSR of more than 50-100 may not be good enough. Thus, it’s important for sellers to focus on relative rankings within their specific product category rather than aiming for a universal “good” BSR.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank vs. Organic Ranking
It’s important for sellers to distinguish between Amazon’s Best Sellers Rank (BSR) and organic ranking. BSR shows how well a product is selling at a given moment and how it compares to similar products in the same category. On the other hand, organic rank refers to where a product appears in Amazon’s organic search results based on the algorithm’s evaluation of its relevance to a user’s search query.
How to improve Amazon BSR?
Here are the five tips to improve the best-selling ranks for your products:
- Select the right product categories: Selecting the right product category is crucial when listing a product on Amazon because the sales rank of your product is determined in relation to other items within the same category. If the subcategory you choose for your listing doesn’t align with your product, it could pose challenges in improving your product’s best seller rank.
- Optimize product listings: Improve your product listings by incorporating relevant keywords and crafting compelling copy. This optimization enhances both visibility in search results and the likelihood of converting shoppers into buyers.
- Competitive pricing: Develop a well-thought-out pricing strategy that aligns with your product category and the pricing landscape among competitors. Fair and competitive pricing can attract more customers and increase sales, positively impacting your BSR.
- Get more product reviews: Getting more customer reviews is crucial for improving the best-seller rank of a product on Amazon because reviews serve as social proof and influence potential buyers. Positive reviews can build trust and credibility, making it more likely for customers to choose the product.
- Drive more conversions with ads: A high sales volume will be the biggest driver of improvement in your BSR. Use Amazon ads to gain more visibility and boost conversion for your product.
In conclusion, understanding Amazon’s best-selling rank is essential for any seller looking to thrive on the world’s largest online marketplace. It provides valuable insights into product performance and market trends, empowering you to make informed decisions that drive success in the competitive e-commerce landscape.